Ecopetrol has a vast scientific experience, led by the Colombian Petroleum Institute, in collaborative work with universities, research centers, and national and international technology-based companies on the oil and gas industry issues.
The design of new processes and innovations, experimental tests, and the development of engineering and technological products are the heart of ICP's scientific work in more than three decades of research and generation of technological solutions.
Created on June 11, 1985, in Piedecuesta, Santander, the ICP has a technological and scientific infrastructure made up of
- Nine laboratories comprising over 40 experimental and analytical areas and 36 pilot plant units.
- +15,700 equipment and components available for technology research and development.
The infrastructure supports research studies in the following experimental laboratories
- Production optimization and improved recovery.
- Production Chemistry
- Special Petrophysics
- Chemical Recovery
- Thermal Recovery
- Technological tests in the field
- Advanced characterization of geological systems.
- Preparation of geological samples
- Basic Petrophysics
- DRX / EDX / XRF
- Electronic microscopy
- "Litoteca" (Oil Well Library)
- Technologies for drilling and completion optimization.
- Rock mechanics
- Drilling muds
- Damage to formation
- Advanced technologies for the characterization of hydrocarbons and organic compounds.
- PVT (Pressure, Volume, Temperature)
If you want more information about the scope of each of these laboratories and experimental areas, please contact Vladimir.firstname.lastname@example.org
Midstream and Downstream
- Specialized evaluation of hydrocarbons, catalysts, and fuels
- Gas and mass chromatography
- Atomic and molecular spectroscopy
- Engineering and integrity of materials.
- Characterization and resistance of materials
- Non-metallic materials
- Interfacial phenomena and rheology.
- Interfacial phenomena
- Standard tests
- Distillation of Crude Oil
- Water and soils.
- Spectrometry and gravimetry
- Environmental chromatography
- Environmental spectroscopy
- Microbiology and molecular biology
If you would like more information about the scope of each of these laboratories and experimental areas, please contact Astrid.email@example.com
- FCC (Fluid Catalytic Cracking)
- Thermal processes
- Separation operations
- Fluid dynamic tests
If you want more information about the scope of each of the pilot plant experimental units, please contact Astrid.firstname.lastname@example.org
In the last decade, Ecopetrol developed a Competitive Advantage in Heavy Crude, which has allowed achieving efficiencies in the recovery, treatment, transportation, and processing of this crude type in Colombia. Technology suites the following applications.
- Heavy Crude Oils
- Water treatment
- Hydrocarbon Theft Mitigation
- Industrial Asset Integrity
- Drilling and geomechanics
We commercialize technologies
We transfer Ecopetrol's technological solutions through licensing agreements with national and international companies that acquire the right to commercialize and improve such technologies. Non-licensed technologies are offered directly to interested companies through the innovation commercialization department of the Colombian Petroleum Institute.
Consult the products that are currently licensed and contact our partners to access this portfolio.